Thursday, February 28, 2008

read aloud plan #2

Mora, Pat. Yum! MmMm! Que' rico!. Illus. Rafael Lopez. New York, NY: Lee & Low Books Inc., 2007.


For my second read aloud plan I will read the book Yum! MmMm! Que' Rico! by Pat Mora. I will read this book to a small group of pre-Kindergarten students. I will only read the poems to the students. This book is an appropriate length and uses language that is appropriate to the age group. The children will enjoy the pictures as well. I expect the children will comment on the illustrations and colors in the book. I also expect them to comment on the foods that are represented in the poems. I am hoping that my Spanish speaking students will recognize and comment on the Spanish words used in a few of the poems and the title. I expect that they will be proud of themselves for recognizing words that some of the other students may not know.

Read aloud Journal:

Unexpectedly, none of my Spanish speaking children commented on the Spanish words in the text. The children did however comment on the different foods. They said things like "chiles are hot", " I like ice cream", "Tomatoes are yucky, I never eat tomatoes". What the responded to the most were the illustrations in the book. Many of the children wanted to look at the picture for a little longer. I would read a poem, and then turn the page. They would say, "go back I want to look." After reading the book they wanted to hold it and look back through the illustrations. One girl loved to look at the chile page. She wanted to keep going back to it. They seemed to be bored by the text. They would talk out, or interrupt while I read the poem. Usually their interruptions had something to do with the illustrations.

No comments: