Sunday, February 17, 2008

Read aloud plan #1 and read aloud journal #1

Suess, Dr. My Many Colored Days. Illus. Steve Johnson & Lou Fancher. New York, NY: Random House Inc., 1996.

The book I chose for my first read aloud was My Many Colored days by Dr. Suess. I plan to read this book to a small group of five year old children. I chose this book because I think the children will enjoy the pictures and they can understand, and possibly relate to the story. The text is short, and filled with emotion. It will hold their attention. I am hoping the children will recognize and comment on the colors in the pictures. I also will ask them what color day they are having. I want them to relate a color in the story with the emotion, or make up their own color and pair it with any emotion they choose.

Read aloud Journal

As I expected the children really liked this book. They loved the pictures. Manny of the children had a favorite picture. After I was done reading the kids started talking about what picture they liked best. They would say things like " I liked the dinosaur," or "can I see the green fish again". The pink flamingos was one little girls favorite picture. Some of the children paired the color with the animal, some of them just talked about the animal and did not refer to the color. No one referred to the emotion. When I asked them how they felt, and what color they felt like today they had all sorts of different answers. One girl said she was red. When I asked her why, she said because she wanted to be a horse. One boy was blue because that was his favorite color. One girl was pink. She said it was her favorite color and she felt happy. I would like to read this book more often to the children and see if they get better at identifying emotions in the book as well as the emotions they are feeling at the time.

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

I chose to read aloud to my son as well. Last night we read a new book my son received from a birthday present. The book was Archy the Flying Dolphin. He loved this book very much. So much in fact, he wanted to read it over again. Which I didn't mind it's a pretty good book.