Sunday, February 10, 2008

Craft lesson #4

This lesson will deal with color recognition, fine motor coordination, and recognizing emotions.

First I will read the book My many colored days, then we will make masks for this lesson. I will have different colored paper plates and tongue depressors for them to hold the plates up to their face. Then I would ask each child to name the color of the plate they chose to work with. I would help them cut eye holes in the plate if they needed help. Then I would have different colored feathers, crayons and shapes the can glue onto the plate. I would go around asking the children what different colors they have put on their masks. I would also ask them what emotion the mask portrayed. Is it a happy, sad or angry mask? I will make a angry mask of my own and show them how I can put on my angry mask, and then take it off and go back to being myself. I would talk to them about how it is ok to feel sad, mad, excited or tired. These emotions will not last forever and eventually we will go back to feeling like ourselves again.

3 comments:

Courtney Forbess said...

I thought this craft lesson was wonderful. I think it is important to teach kids the importance of expressing emotions.

Staci said...

I like your hands on approach to the lesson and the way you want to talk with the kids while they are working on the project.

Jessica Howard said...

Just like Staci and Courtney, I thought this was a really great idea! I had trouble trying to think of an original idea for expressing feelings, but I think the masks would be a lot of fun and a great way for personal expression!