Sunday, March 16, 2008

Stuart's Cape

Pennypacker, Sara. Stuart's Cape. Illus. Martin Matje. New York, NY: Scholastic Inc., 2002.


This book was a bout a little boy who wanted to have an adventure. He had moved to a new town, school had not started yet, he did not have any friends, and all his best stuff had accidentally been thrown away before he had moved. He decided that adventures happened to people who had capes. He made a cape out of neck ties. As soon as he put on his cape adventures started to happen. A horse, gorilla and dinosaur came to his door. The animals played "Stuart" with him for the day. He flew one day. He grew giant toast and invited all the neighbors over for a toast party. All these things happened because of his cape. On the day of school orientation Stuart's parents made him take off his cape. His cat fell asleep on the cape and switched places with the garbage man. Stuart had another adventure and finally got the garbage man and the cat to switch back to normal. Stuart made friend with the garbage man. They both liked to collect things that other people thought was junk.

I think this is a good book for third graders. That is the age Stuart. This book could also work as a read aloud for younger grades. I think 1st and 2nd graders would enjoy this book as a read aloud. I personally did not enjoy this book, but I think younger kids would like it. I read it to my son who is kindergarten and he laughed at some of the things that happened in the book. It was hard to tell which parts of the book was Stuart's imagination. Was Aunt Bubbles real? I think she was because the parents had to buy new tires for the car. The book was too far fetched for my enjoyment. The parents left Stuart at home all by himself. They also let him go to school orientation by himself. I also had a hard time identifying with Stuart. I never worried about anything as a child. I still do not worry much as a adult. However, I think this book would be good for kids with a strong imagination.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Christian! It was fun being your partner for text messaging the other day haha! Hope you have a great spring break.

Staci said...

I wondered about Aunt Bubbles and the tires too. Maybe it was all his imagination. Or maybe Aunt Bubbles was the scapegoat in Stuart's mind after he made the pound cake sling shot. What a funny kid!