Sunday, March 30, 2008

chapter 15

Tunnell, Michael O. and James S. Jacobs. Children's Literature, Briefly. 4e. Upper Saddle River NJ: Pearson/Merrill Prentice Hall, 2008

I think that multicultural literature is a good method of exposing children to cultures they may not know much about. They might also find the different ways of story telling interesting, and educational. I thought it was interesting that many people feel that multicultural books should not be written by outsiders of that culture. They feel that outsiders would present a distorted or even prejudice view of that culture. I do not necessarily agree with this view. I think with research and an open mind anyone can write about almost anything. I think that a person who immerses themselves in a culture can accurately write about certain aspects of that culture, or portray a character from that culture. It might be difficult and they might need help from others within that culture, but I think it could be done.

No comments: