Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Children's Literature Briefly ch.1

According to this chapter most of the reading I have done for school and college has been unengaged reading. It also suggests that the benefits of unengaged reading are few. I mostly agree with that. According to the book unengaged reading can result from a teachers assigning students to look for and define specific aspects of the book. Thus reducing the child's ability to experience the book on a more personal level. So what are we to do as teachers to ensure our students are engaged readers? As a student I was always thinking about the report that was inevitably due after each book I read. I understand that engaged reading is more fulfilling on a personal level, but unengaged reading seems to be unavoidable in school settings.

No comments: