Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Children's Literature, Briefly ch.6-8

I liked the chapter on poetry. I never liked poetry in school because we had to dissect boring poems. Consequently I never have read any poetry since. I do not think that any poetry I read in school was from recent authors. I had fun reading some of the poems in this chapter. I think it is a good idea to put a poems on the board for students reading only and not link them to any assignments or formal discussions.
In chapter 6 (I think) it touches on overly controlled vocabulary, and how it is harder for a kid to learn to read using it. I was reading Hop on Pop with my son. He could sound out the words pup in cup, but every time I asked him to read the whole sentence together he would say pup is in the cup. I could not get him to omit the is and in. Pup in cup just did not sound like a natural sentence to him.

1 comment:

Cecilia Robertson said...

Like you mentioned, I don't remember reading any current poetry while I was in school. I think if I had been exposed to poems like those in the textbooks, I might have actually enjoyed it. Eve Merriam's Teevee was cute and funny:)